Friday, July 23, 2010

Fireworks

I decided to go do something this evening.  I have a lot of work to do:  among other things, preparing for my Bible study on Sunday.  But, I spend so much time over here at the parish by myself, I felt the need to be around people, for a change.  I happened upon the perfect opportunity:  the City of Millbrook's Summerfest 2010!

All I knew about this event was that it had fireworks and that other people would be there, the vast majority of whom I would not know.  This was the description I found on the internet:

Entertainment for the family friendly event will be provided by a variety of area bands.  Everyone is encouraged to bring a picnic basket and blanket and enjoy the evening events, which will culminate with a stunning fireworks display.  This year's Summerfest Celebration will build on the Alabama Tourism Department's Year of the Small Towns and Downtowns theme will a special tribute planned for all local Millbrook businesses, which are the heart of our city. 6 p.m. until with fireworks beginning at 9 p.m.

Sounds like fun, right?  Absolutely! though, I think I might have enjoyed it a little more if I went with someone else, or met someone I knew.  Anyway, that's not a big deal, because the solitude amidst the crowd provided for some unique introspection, which I will divulge below.

I went to a vendor (since I was without the suggested picnic basket) and bought a Gatorade.  The guy looked at me, and I could tell he was about to ask, "what flavor?"  Before he got the words out, I told him, "any flavor," because I didn't really feel like choosing.  Since it was dark, I never really found out what I got, but it tasted a lot like grape.  Now, grape flavor in candy and soda (and sports drinks) is always nostalgic for me, instantly connecting me to childhood (the paramount example of this being grape flavor Big League Chew).  I don't know why, but I used to eat and drink a lot of grape stuff, but not anymore.  I didn't even like it very much as a kid, but now I'm elated whenever I see Grapico sold at Wal-marts or at a gas station.

So here I am, on a hot summer night (though not too hot since it was threatening to rain), with a cold grape flavored drink in hand, surrounded by a couple thousand people (maybe more?  I don't know how to count large groups of people), as we all anticipate the coming fireworks.  It is in this environment that I begin to reflect.  The result:

I love fireworks.

Okay, yeah, big deal--Everyone loves fireworks.  That's true, but I suddenly realized that fireworks communicate something to me.  I started to realize this on July 3rd as I watched fireworks at Point Clear with my nieces and nephews.  The explosions of light and sound are simply fantastic.  I even like to watch the smoke of old blasts get lit up by new ones as it drifts away.

Now, there is an obvious bias here that has to be stated.  I'm born on the Fourth of July, and I was repeatedly told as a child that the fireworks on Independence Day were for my birthday (the country too--don't worry, even as a kid, I got it was joke).  I realize that probably the only people who do not love fireworks are the very young children who get scared (a necessary part of growing up), but I've got a special place in my heart for them.  Is this deep realization I made about myself tonight just me latching on to my childhood?  Probably, but that doesn't bother me.

But it's not just the rockets' red glare and the bombs bursting in air that I can't get enough of.  I get in to the whole experience:  searching for a parking space, listening to the radio (NOT a cd or an iPod), carrying lawn chairs, sweating a little bit in the dark heat of the evening, waiting for the show to start, watching kids running around, smelling bug spray, etc.  I got most of that (minus Independence Day) tonight.

All I can say is, America does fireworks right.  I have been privileged to live in another country for 3 years.  I therefore realize that other cultures utilize and enjoy fireworks.  The most intense display of fireworks I ever saw was in Assisi for the Feast of St. Rufino (patron of the city).  However, I find that there is something special about the particularly American experience of fireworks.  I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's definitely there.  I can't wait till next 4th of July (and not just because it's my birthday).

While I've got the opportunity, let me say that I am really enjoying living in Elmore County.  Even though I didn't know anyone at Summerfest, it was great to be there with everyone.  Living in Italy for three years has really made me love my home.  Alabama is a beautiful place, filled with beautiful people.  And most of them have no clue whatsoever what life is like in Europe or Africa, but that's by no means a privation.  These people are themselves.  I love that about them, and I love being one of them.

Unrelated Photo:

(Real duck, real moustache)


Update:  A friend of mine got creative when he saw this picture:

(Fake dynamite)


2 comments:

  1. Great post. I love Alabama too. I hope you catch that duck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you whole-heartedly!!! Fireworks are an amazing thing. San Rufino's were awesome but lacked that American flavor. John and I are planning to have fireworks at our ordination party--it'll be a blast! Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hope you're having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete