Saturday, April 30, 2011

Holy Thursday

At the Mass of the Lord's Supper, I served as one of the deacons with the monks.  As the abbot washed the feet of the chose twelve, I was at his side with the washbowl and towel to help him out.

Now, I have had my feet washed before at Holy Thursday, but I've never had the place I had this year.  I know that in years to come, I will be the one washing others feet, so the symbol of the abbot's servile work was not lost on me.

It's funny though that I talk about washing others feet as being something in the future!  The whole point of the story from John 13 is that we're all supposed to wash one another's feet, and not delay!  It's not just the presider's job at Holy Thursday; it's everyone's job everyday.

Random Bavaria photo:
Dinner in a beer garden

No comments:

Post a Comment